All international exchange programs of the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), including the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), will be held virtually until December 31, 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more than fifty years, Utah Council for Citizen Diplomacy has fostered citizen diplomacy by hosting meaningful person-to-person interactions between the people of Utah and individuals from around the world through our International Exchange Program.
UCCD is the only official community-based member of the U.S. Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) in Utah. Since 1967, we have welcomed more than 12,000 International Visitors from more than 200 countries to Utah.
Our flagship program is the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), the U.S. Department of State’s premier professional exchange program and UCCD's flagship program. Through short-term visits to the United States, current and emerging foreign leaders in a variety of fields experience this country firsthand and cultivate lasting relationships with their American counterparts. We arrange meetings with local organizations that reflect the participants’ professional interests and support the foreign policy goals of the United States. Find out more about the IVLP program.
Other International Exchange Programs we host include:
The Jóvenes en Acción program is a ten-month civic education and leadership program for high school students in Mexico. Program participants begin with a four-week exchange experience in host cities and states. They examine how local communities develop a culture of lawfulness by addressing problems related to gangs; violence; substance abuse; bullying; human rights; social disintegration; access to a clean environment, financial literacy; creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship; and technologies and methodologies for English language learning.
The program goals are to:
- Promote mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and Mexico.
- Prepare youth leaders to become responsible citizens and contributing members of their communities.
- Nurture a cadre of students to be actively engaged in addressing issues of concern in their schools and communities upon their return home, and to be equipped with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to become citizen activists.
Jóvenes en Acción is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Embassy Mexico City, with funding provided by the U.S. Government, La Secretaría de Educación Pública and private funders. Jóvenes en Acción is administered by World Learning.
Become a Virtual Host Family for Young Mexican Leaders
UCCD will virtually host 21 Mexican high school students as part of the Jóvenes en Acción program. This year’s program will take place virtually over Zoom. We are seeking about 10 families (preferably with high school-aged children) who are interested in virtually hosting 2-3 high school age participants from Mexico over the course of four weeks from October 11 - November 7.
Virtual Host Family Commitments
- Program Dates: October 11 - November 7, 2021
- Virtually host a group of 2-3 Mexican students over Zoom.
- Participate in a training session (date TBD), Kickoff Event (evening of Oct.12), and Closing Party (evening of Nov. 4) all taking place over Zoom (1.5 hrs each).
- Participate in 2-3 additional Zoom activities (1 hr each) with your group of 2-3 students. These will be informal cultural activities and conversations with outlines and resources provided by UCCD. They can be flexibly scheduled on days and times according to the availability of you and your exchange students.
- Strong preference for host families with high school age children.
- Willing to go through screening procedures and a background check.
- Access to a computer, webcam, and strong internet connection for Zoom calls (tech stipend available).
Citizen diplomacy is a powerful tool for creating sustainable economic and social relationships in a globally connected world, so we need you to volunteer with us!
Please volunteer as a Professional Resource to meet with our international visitors and share your professional knowledge, resources, and best-practices. Or, become a Taste of Home Hospitality volunteer to open your home and provide a taste of local hospitality in Utah by hosting a casual dinner for our international visitors.
2020 International Visitors in Utah